Strain Hardening Definition
Strain hardening (also called work-hardening or cold-working) is the process of making a metal harder and stronger through plastic deformation.
In the plastic region, the true stress increases continuously i.e when a metal is strained beyond the yield point, more and more stress is required to produce additional plastic deformation and the metal seems to have become more stronger and more difficult to deform. This implies that the metal is becoming stronger as the strain increases. Hence, it is called "Strain Hardening". The plastic portion of the true stress-strain curve (or flow stress curve) plotted on a log-log scale gives the n value as the slope and the K value as the value of true stress at true strain of one.
For materials following the power law, the true strain at the Ultimate Tensile Strength is equal to n. when you plot the log-log plot, use data points after the yield point (to avoid elastic points) and before instability (necking).
A material that does not show any strain hardening (n=0) is classed as perfectly plastic. Such a material would show a constant flow stress irrespective of strain. K can be found by substituting n and a data point (from the plastic region) in the power law or from the y-intercept.
Strain hardening reduces ductility and increases brittleness. e.g. Cold-working can be easily demonstrated with piece of wire or a paper clip. Bend a straight section back and forth several times. Notice that it is more difficult to bend the metal at the same place. In the strain hardened area dislocations have formed and become tangled, increasing the strength of the material. Continued bending will eventually cause the wire to break at the bend due to fatigue cracking.
Strain Hardening Video
- Have you told anyone your middle name
- Who sings the song Perfect
- Are movie theatres too loud for infants
- Was film actually better than digital media
- What is the name of this Insect
- When did tea come to Europe
- What are Googles blockchain projects
- Why was Patty Hearst abducted
- Where are my Quora credits
- Do South Korean men use lipstick
- Does JoSAA conduct special round
- What is the way to livestream audio
- Is sarcasm a good thing?no_redirect=1
- Does the Bible plagiarize
- Is there a process to gain fame
- How can I get Google AdSense
- Does CarMax buy classic cars
- What does the Milky Way sound like
- What one skill an awesome life
- When is bullying someone justified