Lohri is celebrated every year on 13th of January. It is a festival to worship fire. Lohri Festival is celebrated with great pomp in North India. At this time Earth starts moving towards the sun marking the auspicious period of Uttarayan. First Lohri is very important for the newly wed and the new born babies as it marks fertility. At night, people gather around the bonfire and throw til, puffed rice & popcorns into the flames of the bonfire. Prayers are offered to the bonfire seeking abundance & prosperity. People make merry by dancing & singing traditional songs.
How to Celebrate Lohri?
Lohri celebrations are marked by traditional songs and dances. People dress up nicely on the long-awaited bonfire festival. Lohri calls for family get-togethers and lavish dinners with sarson ka saag & makki ki roti. The day ends with prayers for a good harvest.
Significance of Lohri
For people of Punjab, the festival of Lohri hold a great significance as it marks the harvesting season in Punjab and the end of the winter season. The main event is making of a huge bonfire which is symbolic of the homage to the Sun God for bringing in warmth.
Bonfires, Sunder mundriye, Peanuts and Gachak, all these aspects make Lohri a fun festival. Falling on January 13th every year...
More About Lohri Festival
Copyright © 2004-2020 www.lohrifestival.org. All Rights Reserved.
- What makes a person become a slob
- Why do so few people finish books
- Do you know any gay parents
- What is my credit card expiration date
- What are lemons used for
- Can you get diseases through a blowjob
- When was property tax introduced
- How did Walt Disney die 2?no_redirect=1
- Can women possess the MAOA gene
- Do Indian Malaysians speak Bahasa Melayu
- How much do sneakers normally cost London
- Is it worth owning a document shredder
- Is there a process to gain fame
- Can you refer movies like INCEPTION
- Which snake has a neurotoxin poison