Introduction to LIGO & Gravitational Waves
Sources of Gravitational Waves
The gravitational waves that modern detectors are sensitive to would be in the audible frequency range if they were sound waves. In that sense, these detectors can be thought of as ‘gravitational wave radios.’ Just like radio waves cannot be heard without a radio to detect the radio waves and decode the music signal to send to the speakers, gravitational waves cannot be heard without a detector to distinguish the gravitational wave and send that signal to speakers. All of the physics that went into the production of a gravitational wave is then encoded in this ‘music’ for physicists to decode. In the following descriptions of gravitational waves, the ‘sound’ they make will often be described to illustrate the properties of the expected signal.
Listen to an example signal of two neutron stars merging.
Listen to the same signal mixed in with noise. Noise in the LIGO detectors are mostly caused by vibrations from the local environment.
There are four main sources of gravitational waves caused by different kinds of motion and changing distributions of mass - continuous, inspiral, burst, and stochastic.
» Next: Continuous Gravitational Waves
Newton, Einstein and Gravitational Waves
"Ripples on Space-time"
→ Sources of Gravitational Waves:
Detecting Gravitational Waves
Using Multiple Detectors
Advanced LIGO flyer
The Potential of Gravitational Waves
- What is your relationship with reading
- Does keto make you pee more
- How do I just say goobye
- Should I watch Death Note
- How can I successfully transfer to Dartmouth
- What is the best car of 2017
- Do Malayalis watch Kannada films
- Is CO_2 an acid
- What happened in Hyderabad
- Are there precepts in Nichiren Shu
- Would you add your parent on Snapchat
- What online shops do you recommend
- Why is water important to Hinduism
- Why are people so aggressive
- Whats your opinion on Czerny Op 299
- Why is Germany best for technical courses
- What is the Significant Investor Visa
- Why is multi threading so damn hard